NCWC Parent Guide - General Information
The main tools used for day-to-day communication with members are Facebook and Team Snap; be sure to check one or both of these sources for up-to-date practice information.
Team Snap is a tool that helps manage availability for practices and tournaments. Each practice will list the location and any other important information (i.e. door codes). The app is available on most mobile devices, and as a website. The email address you provide at registration will be used to invite you to the site.
This tool allows wrestlers to:
- See all upcoming practices/tournaments.
- Send messages to coaches/team members.
This tool allows coaches to:
- Keep track of who has paid fees and who is attending tournaments.
- Communicate with wrestlers/parents.
The Facebook group can be found by searching for “National Capital Wrestling Club” and requesting to join. Schedule changes, pictures, videos, and news about upcoming and completed tournaments are posted here. It’s a great way to connect with teammates.
- Show up at least ten minutes early to help set up.
- Show up dressed in workout clothes and prepared to start.
- Report all injuries immediately to a coach.
- Respect your teammates and others in the room.
- After practice, help clean and put away mats.
- Shower as soon as you can after every practice to help stop the spread of any bacteria and disease. It is recommended that you use anti-fungal shampoo/soap for this, such as Head and Shoulders or Selsun Blue.
- No outdoor shoes should be worn on the mats.
- Stay off the mats when infected with a contagious skin issue such as ringworm.
Knee pads: An optional piece of equipment
that protects knees from abrasions. Can be purchased from the NCWC if we have
your size in stock for $20 per knee pad, or online.
Shoes: Clean running
shoes can be worn for the first few practices, but once a wrestler has joined
the team, wrestling shoes are mandatory. Wrestling shoes can be purchased from
the NCWC if we have your size in stock (prices vary, but are usually around $75
per pair), or online.
Singlet: This is worn
during tournaments, and is mandatory for competition but optional for practice. Singlets with the NCWC logo on them can be purchased at the beginning of each season, and other singlets can be purchased at tournaments or online. If you would like to compete but do not have a singlet, talk to the coaches and they will arrange for you to borrow one.
Jewellery: No jewellery is to be worn during practice. Piercings should be removed (if removing is not an option, they should be tapped in a way that they cannot scratch another wrestler).
Hair: Long hair should be tied back, with no metal in the hair elastic.